To work on pass rush moves and finishing the play in a game situation.
- Have five offensive linemen and five defensive linemen line up across from each other.
- Place a dummy bag 5-7 yards behind the o-line, and stand a couple yards behind it.
- Before the play begins, the coach will point to one defensive player.
- On the coach’s signal, all 5 defensive linemen will take two explosive steps forward – however only the player selected by the coach will continue past those first two steps.
- The defensive lineman will attempt to beat his blocker and sack the quarterback.
- If he is unable to beat his blocker before 4 seconds have passed, the coach will blow the whistle, indicating the ball has been thrown downfield and the defender should turn and chase downfield.
- Ideally you’d have both offensive and defensive linemen in their natural positions, but ultimately the most important thing is that they get reps.