This drill teaches agility and demeanor in traffic. In particular, it teaches running backs to move their hips once they get through the line of scrimmage and into the second layer of the defense.
- Place three flat bags followed by three cans anywhere on the field. The coach should be nearby to call commands.
- Players step over the three flat bags.
- Players then use hip movement and lateral steps to move around the cans.
- Players then explode upfield.
- Players should not crossover. Look for quick lateral movement from a strong base.
- Also make sure players practice good ball security during the course of this drill.