To work on speed, agility, and tackling technique
- Place 4 cones in a zig zag pattern, roughly 5 yards apart from each other.
- Place a tackling dummy about 7 yards from the last cone, and have the players form a line 3-4 yards from the 1st cone.
How it Works
- On coach’s signal, first player in line will sprint forward to 1st cone, before backpedaling to the 2nd, continuing like this until the 4th cone.
- The player will then explode forward toward the tackling dummy, finishing the rep with a form tackle, drill continues with the next player in line.
- This drill isn’t just for linebackers – any defensive player who plays off the ball will need to hone the ability to track the ball and come up to make a tackle.
- To add an extra wrinkle, you can have players work on their lateral agility by having them shuffle sideways between the cones instead of sprinting and backpedaling.