Drill Type:Â Defense Drill
This drill emphasizes getting in front of ball carriers and attacking them square.
- Set up 4 bags, or 4 lines of cones (3 cones deep) to create alleys.
- Offense and defense players will face each other at the middle alley.
- The offensive man will initiate the drill from behind four bags.
- He will start in the middle of those bags.
- On â€œgo,â€ he will start to move laterally.
- The defensive man will mirror him by sliding or moving laterally, whatever is necessary.
- Now when you say â€œscore,â€ the offensive man will come up the alley in which heâ€™s located.
- The linebacker must move his feet to get in front of the offensive man before he attacks the ball carrier and takes him back.
- Even though we try to move our feet to always get in front of the ball carrier, there are circumstances that occur where we are approaching a ball carrier at an angle. When we do that, itâ€™s very important that we get our head in front of the ball carrier.