Drill Type: Running Back Drill
In this youth football drill, the barrel serves as an offensive lineman or an offensive blocker. And we’re running right behind the blocker, who is blocking a defender.
- Set up 6 dummies, 5 yards apart starting at the 5 yard line.
- The defender’s going to step one way or another. Whichever way he steps, if the ball carrier’s coming to attack and he steps and plants there.
- The runner should get his foot out wide. As soon as he gets it out wide, he plants.
- Then come right back inside and run right straight toward the next barrel.
- When he gets to the next barrel, if he went left the last time, he goes right this time.
- Zigzag in and out of the barrels, changing directions.
- We don’t want to round off our steps. We want to make sure we plant with a good wide step, good wide base, and then come back the other way, get upfield, and make one quick move and go.
- Remind your players to always come off your outside foot.