This drill focuses on the lineman’s footwork, and their ability to explode not only off the line, but through the quarterback.
- Set up a tackle dummy, and stand 5-7 yards in front of it.
- Place two cones; one a little bit further out than where your offensive tackle would be, and another 10 yards to your side and about 3 yards behind you.
- The player should be lined up in a defensive ends approximate position relative to the ball, in 3-point stance, as close to the ball as they can be.
- When you hike the ball, players should sprint out to the closest cone, plant and sprint to the far cone, coming around it and accelerating into the quarterback.
- Try using a green football if you have access to one – they’re great for challenging players to really focus in on the ball.
- Make sure to teach your players to take the most direct path possible, and not bend their runs around the pylons.