To practice quickly getting into throwing stance out of the shotgun.
- Players will split off into groups of two and stand about 5 yards apart, facing each other.
- The players will start off facing each other, feet shoulder width apart and in an athletic stance.
- The player with the ball will ‘snap’ the ball to their partner.
- As the ball is in the air, the player receiving the ball will snap their hips and get into a throwing stance.
- The goal is for the player to catch the ball, ready to throw the target, without taking any steps after the catch.
- The player will then reset and throw the ball back to their partner, who will do the same.
- The players front shoulder, hip and knee should all be pointed at the target, with their weight loaded on the ball of their back foot, and their shoulders relaxed.
- Make sure players practice snapping their hips in difference directions.
- This can be done with partners for more experienced players, or you can have the players line up and look at their footwork one at a time.
- The no step drop on the shotgun is the equivalent of the 3 step drop from other snap, but we can also use this drill to work on the 3 step drop out of the gun, and a step drop with a hitch out of the gun.