In today’s blog post, we are demonstrating an excellent practice drill for receivers that will get them comfortable with escaping from a pressed defensive back.
Practice Drill for Receivers: Release & Separate from Pressed DB
In this drill, our focus is to emphasize our release and then working against a pressed defensive back.
Elements you want to encourage:
- Follow the concept of attacking half the defender, using good body lean
- As you defeat the defender, you want to retrace to where you saw the defensive back last.
- If he’s in position, touch his opposite shoulder from where you’re running to give him a false read.
- Stick the route and run it. Whether it is an out cut or an in cut, this is what’s critical in separating from a defensive back.
Additional points to check:
- You want your body over your knees in good lean position.
- Use your hands.
- Use the rip or swim move.