To teach and reinforce the proper technique when backpedaling and changing direction.
- Set out two pairs of cones about 10 yards apart, with 2 more pairs 5 and 10 yards behind the first.
- Players will form two lines, with the first two players stepping out to the first two cones.
- You’ll also need a coach in front of the players with a ball.
- The coach will use the ball as a signal for the defensive players. On his first signal the defensive players will begin backpedaling.
- Once they reach the second set of cones, the coach will signal for the defenders to break forward to the first cone again.
- Once they reach the first cone, the coach will signal again for them to backpedal, leading them all the way to the cones at the back.
- The coach will then signal one final time, sending the players forward and through.
- Players should not be looking behind – all their focus should be on the coach and the ball.