To develop a QBs pocket presence and ability to avoid the pass rush and pass downfield.
- The QB will stand in front of the coach, while two other players line up 2 yards behind the QB and 4 yards away from the coach, and 3 WRs spread out about 10 yards downfield.
- The QB will take the snap from the coach and take a 5 step drop. 2
- The pass rushers will take off as soon as the QB passes them, running predetermined lanes by the coach.
- The QB will plant, set his feet, and avoid the rush by either stepping up in the pocket – if the rushers come outside – or shuffling outside – if the rushers come up the middle.
- The QB will then set his feet again, and make a throw to the closest receiver.
- Make sure the QB keeps both hands on the ball while avoiding the rush – ball security is a must!
- Make sure to adjust the DE pass rush lanes to get the QB used to avoiding the rush from different angles.
- Ensure the QB is using proper fundamentals, from the drop, to avoiding the rush, to the throw downfield.