This drill is designed to help running backs find the space between the linebackers.
- Set two bags five yards apart. Coach, quarterback, or another player, stands in front of the bags about half way between them.
- Coach says “Go,.”
- Player runs from one bag to the other, reverses direction and runs back to the original bag, then reverses direction again and “settles” in the space between the two bags.
- The ball is thrown to the player, who catches it, turns and runs upfield.
- Make sure players are “settling down” with their hips low and their foundation solid. Then creating a good target, catching the ball properly, tucking it and tapping it.
- Another option would be to add a person with a bag to pop the running back when he catches the ball.