This drill is great for not only improving a player’s agility, but also improves their reaction time, and teaches them that they should keep an eye on what’s happening with the quarterback at all times.
- Have your player(s) start off lying face down on the ground, watching the football.
- When you hike the football, move it immediately to one side of your body.
- As you do so, your player will sprint in that direction – until you move the football to the other side of your body. The player should be covering about a 15 yard radius, 7.5 yards in each direction from their starting point.
- Go back and forth one or two times and then pull the ball up as if you are about to pass it – when the player sees this he should immediately charge the quarterback and just before he reaches you pump fake the ball.
- On that pump fake the player will turn and sprint back to their starting point, completing the drill.
- Do not practice on cadence, teach your players to move on the ball.
- This is a fantastic drill for working on the agility and footwork that are vital in developing a player’s ability to beat his blocker on a regular basis.