Drill Type: Defensive Line Drill
This defensive line drill focuses on having a quick reaction, getting across the line, finding the ball, and getting to it in the shortest line possible.
- The coach is going to have the ball snapped on movement.
- The defensive line players are going to step across the line and redirect flat if the ball’s run away from them. We don’t want them to do any bananas – we want to go flat down the line and chase the ball.
- We also will add line stunts to this. We’ll slant to the right or the left and then redirect.
- We will also call, besides slants, pinches–pinches by one end or another end.
- We’ll add linebackers in and have them blitz and redirect.
This is a multi-purpose drill to come across the line, to redirect flat, and get to the ball without having any curves or bananas in your course. We want a straight line to the football.