Offensive lineman learn that blocking is not just about hitting a player once and then letting them go. It is about engaging, maintaining and driving that block out of the hole.
- You only need the offensive lineman and a coach or player holding a tackling dummy.
- The offensive lineman fires out and drive blocks the tackling dummy.
- He holds his block and drives at least 10 yards before letting go.
- Coaches should offer a little resistance on the bag, to give the lineman the feeling of having to ”˜drive’ a player off the ball.
- Make sure players maintain proper drive block form (head up, feet shoulder width apart, feet moving and hands in tight underneath shoulder pads).