To teach players how to track and block defenders.
- Begin by putting four cones down, 5 yards apart with one pair 3 yards behind the other.
- One player will step up to each side of the box.
- The blocker will follow the defender as the defender moves back and forth within the cone area.
- The coach will then signal, and the defender will begin to attempt to move past the blocker – at around 50-75%.
- The defender will use a punch technique, keeping two hands on the defender and preventing them from getting behind them.
- As players get more comfortable with the drill, you can increase the intensity, but remember this drill is designed to work on blocking techniques, not block shedding.
- Make sure the blocker does not cross his feet, staying square and in a low athletic stance for the entirety of the drill.