To work on a players ability to make difficult catches.
- Have the receivers form a single file line, and stand about 15-20 yards in front of it.
- You’ll also need a bunch of footballs.
- On the coach’s signal, the first player in line will explode out of their stance towards the tackling dummy.
- As they approach the dummy, they will stay low, and begin to chop their feet.
- The tackler will make contact with the shoulder pads, keeping the head up, and leading with the same shoulder and foot.
- The player will then wrap up, and drive through, finishing the tackle into the ground
- The key to safe, effective tackling technique is to lead with the same shoulder as the front foot. This effectively takes the head out of the play – much more similar to a rugby tackle, where a player has the utmost concern for protecting his neck and head through a tackle.