To get players loose, work on conditioning and how to take a ball handoff securely.
- Divide the team into two groups, and have them form two single file lines.
- Place a cone directly in front of each line, with another cone 15 yards down field.
- The first player in each line should have a football.
- On the coach’s signal, the 1st player in each line will hand the ball off to the 2nd player in line.
- The ball carrier will run down and around the far cone and back, handing the ball off to the next player in line as they cross the start line.
- First team to get through all their players wins!
- You’ll want to get in close and watch as players take handoffs and make sure they are using the correct technique.
- They should have their inside arm up, bent at the elbow, with the outside arm underneath, forming a breadbasket that clamps down around the ball right after the exchange.