This drill stresses the importance of both ball possession and of fighting for the ball. Players improve conditioning while also learning the importance of both ball security and of being able to take the ball from the other team.
- Match up the entire team in groups of two, putting players of similar size together.
- You should also put tackling dummies or cones around the area the ball needs to be recovered in.
- Two players enter the marked off area and are given one ball.
- Each players grab hold of the ball and on the coach’s whistle they fight for possession. If a ball falls to the ground the first player to gain position wins the drill.
- Players should not crossover. Look for quick lateral movement from a strong base.
- Also make sure players practice good ball security during the course of this drill.