To warm players up while also improving their ability to protect the ball while running down field.
- Have the players pair off with teammates of similar speed and size.
- Each pair will need a football. Setup two cones 10 yards apart, and have the players form a line at one cone.
- On coach’s command, ball carrier will pump their legs and run forward toward the cone.
- Their partner will try to wrestle the ball away from the ball carrier as they head downfield.
- At the cone the ball carrier and their partner switch roles, coming back down towards the 1st cone doing the same thing.
- Emphasize that the ball carrier maintain five points of pressure on the ball as they move downfield.
- To add a little extra intensity to the drill, have any player who fumbles do 5 pushups.