To perfect kicking footwork, and improve efficiency of motion and comfort.
- Place a kicking tee down where the ball would be.
- Take your steps and place a piece of tape at the beginning, the location of your first step out of stance, and the plant foot by the tee.
- First step is with kicking foot, coming down in a straight line towards the ball. The foot should be slightly open, point to 1 or 2 o’clock relative to the tee.
- Plant foot should come down in line with the football, about a foot way.
- Begin at the tee, take your setup steps, and execute the footwork, finishing with a kick.
- The most common method for measuring out where a player should start his kicking motion is to take 3 large steps back and 2 small steps away from your kicking foot (to your left for right footed kickers).
- When doing this drill, you should still be mimicking your real kicking motion, getting a natural backswing, kicking through the ball, and coming down balanced.