To work on perfecting foot to ball contact and warmup the leg.
- Place a football on a kicking tee and stand with your plant leg a couple feet away from the tee, as you would land after taking your plant step.
- Begin by extending your kicking leg – slowly – out to the football, and establishing your ideal contact point.
- Make sure you are comfortably balanced on the plant foot.
- Bring the kicking foot back down and get into a comfortable stance.
- Take a natural backswing and make good clean contact with the football on the sweet spot, transferring his body weight through the swing and landing comfortable and balanced.
- At moment of impact, there are 3 areas of focus to keep in mind: your body should be tall, the kicking knee should be straight, and the kicking foot should be open at slight angle – about 2 o’clock.
- Kickers should be aiming to hit the ball with the top of the instep right on the sweet spot of the football, roughly a third of the way up from the bottom.