To emphasize ball security and running with power and balance.
- You’ll need 9 players to help, a QB, and a line of ball carriers.
- The first 4 players will all be 5 yards apart holding blocking bags.
- The next 4 will be closer together, a couple yards apart.
- Next you’ll need to create some kind of barrier – 3 dummy bags to form a triangle works best.
- Place cones on both sides, about 5 yards out.
- The last defender will be behind this triangle, and there will be one final cone 5-7 yards behind him.
- The QB will take the snap, and pivot to hand the ball off to the RB.
- The RB will burst through the first 4 defenders who will hit him with their bags as he runs through.
- The next 4 defenders will all try to strip the ball out of his hands as he runs past them and towards the triangle.
- The ball carrier will then cut either right or left and try to beat the last defender past the last cone.
- The beauty of the gauntlet drill is that you can adjust it however you see fit – as long as it provides a test of balance, power and ball security for the ball carrier.