To teach players how to quickly identify the open receiver and make an accurate pass
- Have the receivers spread out all over the field, and a quarterback at the line of scrimmage.
- The QB will face out towards the WRs, while the WRs face the QB.
- The coach will stand behind the QB as well.
- The QB will assign each WR a number before the play.
- The QB will drop back when he’s ready, and the Coach will hold up a number with his fingers.
- The player who’s number has been shown will put one hand up, while the rest of the receivers will put two hands up.
- The QB must then identify and make an accurate pass to the open receiver within 3 seconds.
- If the QB is unable to locate the open man within 3 seconds, he must take off and run with the ball.
- Once players have got the hang of this timing, instead of calling out the time, the Coach will simply blow the play dead after 4 seconds to indicate a sack has been taken.