In this drill, receivers practice the last five yards of a hook, comeback or other route that involves planting the outside foot and running back toward the quarterback.
- Set up three cones – Two are five yards apart with the other two yards from the first cone.
- The coach is also nearby to call commands.
- Receiver lines up in the proper stance at the first cone.
- Coach says “Go.”
- Receiver runs the last five yards of a hook route or similar pattern.
- Quarterback throws the football.
- Receiver makes the catch, tucks the ball and runs upfield.
- The emphasis in this drill should be on the receiver coming back and meeting the football, then catching it, tucking it and turning and running upfield.
- Pay particular attention to the receiver’s eyes and hands and make sure he is watching the ball into his hands and using his fingertips to make the catch.