To give DBs and WRs a chance to work on passing and defending against zone coverage.
- Have an offensive team (2 WRs, 1 QB) and a defensive team (2 CBs, 1 DB/LB) line up on the field. The QB will need a football as well. The WRs and CBs will be in their normal alignment, with the DB 10 yards deep over the middle.
- Before the play, tell the WRs and QB what play they are running.
- The QB will then snap the ball, make a read, and attempt to hit an open WR.
- Cycle in a new 3 after each play.
- This can be a really fun competitive team drill. Do Winners Stay On, and see if you can crown a 3 on 3 champion squad on your team!
- Be sure to work on a variety of routes, and keep contact to a minimum – we are working on route running and coverage here, not tackling.